[Tagging] highway=track access

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Fri May 30 17:29:38 UTC 2014

Dave F. wrote:

> I believe byway shouldn't be deprecated. In my area most of them are
> signed as just 'byway' on the ground.

I think that it varies greatly by area.  Some highway authorities use
just "Byway"; some have more explicit signage; some in some cases none
at all.

>  I think many that have been tagged with designation=* have been
> sourced from OS data.

There's always the risk that people who didn't quite "get the memo" do
this (just as the occasional "source=Google Maps" still appears).  I can
think of one example back in 2012:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2012-April/013098.html

where a number of externally-sourced designations seemed to be used.
I've since resurveyed a fair number of those, and in many cases they
were now signed as byways; where they weren't I changed the designation
back to the signage on the ground.  Here's one example of an area that
on resurvey was actually far more complicated than either my original
tagging or what it had been armchaired to:

Can you think of a specific example where something has been tagged with
designation=*, isn't signed on the ground and must have been sourced
from the OS (or other incompatible data)?

Cheers,

Andy