[Tagging] Feature proposal - Street cabinet - Voting

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sat Nov 1 10:04:15 UTC 2014

Well, they re not open to the public - only the designated houses in the area can use their station, not anyone else. You don’t use other people’s stations. There is one closer to my house, but I’m not allowed to use it, because the one pictred is “ours”. it is regualrly maintained, on rotation, by the users of it.

These are not public garbage cans, they are a drop-off point between specific customers and the garbage pickup.

They are not completely private, like a mail transfer box, but they are not public either.

Javbw

> On Oct 31, 2014, at 7:01 PM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
>
> I would distinguish between an amenity=waste_* for structures
> that are open for everybody to bring their waste, with or without fee,
> thus as a POI somebody would navigate to (where can I bring my waste),
> and the cabinet=waste merely describing the street inventory
> (what is that odd locked box for).
>
> johnw wrote on 2014-10-31 07:00:
>> I was going to suggest "Waste Transfer station" http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station
>> But after reading the wiki for it, it was not at all what I expected.
>>
>> In America, at least in most suburban areas, waste is collected from individual residences via bins/cans on the street with(enormous) trucks, so there is no static transfer points whatsoever, it goes from curb to landfill directly.
>>
>> In Japan, There are static waste collection "Garbage stations" [ゴミ ステーション] per street or area, and are often large, steel, screened cages that are stuffed full of 45 liter bags. There is no possible way fro a truck to service the myriad of little tiny buildings, some of them only on walking paths - even in cities of 100K people, so there is a garbage station for every 20-30 houses or so, or one for a large apartment or company. Temporary ones are merely nets to keep the crows off the bags, but most are permanent ones worth mapping.
>>
>> My local garbage station (2 cabinets)  http://goo.gl/maps/VLgMP
>> a full one nearby http://goo.gl/maps/eqVS3
>>

>> although some are old and look disused, they are used daily or weekly by the populace, and mapping them would be useful on a very local level (like the cabinets in general).
>>
>> Please add a line item for waste transfer, similar to the postal transfer - this is a missing step in the garbage collection, and a cabinet that have been overlooked.
>> Also, I suggest also adding "sliding" for the door hinge option (as the second one has no hinges)
>>
>> Javbw

>>> maybe =waste is more consistent with existing tags such as
>>> amenity=waste disposal, amenity=waste basket or