[Tagging] governmental / public_administrative landuse are not commercial

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Mon Nov 3 19:13:47 UTC 2014

So far we have discussed pros and cons of
landuse={governmental|public_administrative|civic}

What about landuse=civil ?

Oxford defines as attribute "of or relating to ordinary citizens and their concerns,
as distinct from military or ecclesiastical matters", and
in law as "relating to private relations between members of a community; noncriminal"

Thus it includes civil government, civil services, civil affairs, civil law, civil defence.
Thus land occupied by tax/pension/immigration offices, ministries, parliaments and their subsidiaries.

It would semantically exclude military, religious, judical/prison areas.
By tag definition we can clarify that we want to exclude emergency services,
hospitals, educational institutions which are not exclusively provided by the state.

I'm not sure yet if it should include embassies, or not, as they refer to a foreign
state, in contrast to 'civil' implying 'domestic, interior, home, national'. But
as in amenity={hospital|school}, amenity=embassy can be applied to an area without hassle.

tom