[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Thu Nov 6 04:26:46 UTC 2014

> there is a subtle difference, in that it is very common in OSM to trace from
> aerial imagery without any survey, and in these cases you obviously won't be
> able to enter names. Therefor streets without names in OSM but with names in
> the real world are quite common (at least for the moment). On the other hand
> an explicit noname=yes is an affirmation that the mapper really couldn't
> find a name, even by looking hard for it.

You didn't geht my point "that such tags are often set by mistake, or just
to shut up
a validator".

If a mapper wishes to tell others that he didn't find a name, he should
rather be more verbose, by setting a note=* (or note1=* or note2=* or
note:name=* etc.). Only then, others can be assured that he was really
looking for a name. However, this still does not imply that the street has
no name. Maybe he simply overlooked the sign, or the sign was stolen, or the
name is oral tradition only, or to be found in literature.