[Tagging] path vs footway

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:38:56 UTC 2014

I am editing trails in a US National Park of which I have first hand
knowledge.  Nearly all trails in this area have been tagged
"highway=footway" although most of them are open equally to foot
traffic and horse traffic. Any reason to leave them as "footways"? The
wiki suggests that "path" is more appropriate. It would be nice to
have consistent data, otherwise it suggests that one trail is
different from the next when if fact they are not.

By the way, might this be an artifact of the defaults in Potlatch?

Thanks,

Mike