[Tagging] path vs footway

johnw johnw at mac.com
Mon Nov 3 23:14:11 UTC 2014

AFIK - footway and path are more toward the width, surface, smoothness, maintenance level, and expected use of the way. a sidewalk often gets tagged as footpath, as would be a concrete walkway in a garden.

Paths are usually less maintained, less even, narrower, and lower grade surfaces.

footpath doesn’t imply horses=no, it implies cars=no.

to me path implies wheelchair=no.

if they are wide, well maintained, somewhat smooth and hard, and easily passible, then they are footpaths.

if it is a track for emergency access vehicles that is usually open for hiking, horses, and bikes, then label it is a track instead, cars=emergency or whatever that exact tag is.

horses can fit on pathways and paths (and pedestrian, for that matter)  - I don’t think the trails you are talking about are exclusive horse paths (a bridleway) so it would just have access for horses added to the path, like bicycle access on a footway vs a Cycleway where the intended purpose is bicycle access.

Javbw