[Tagging] governmental / public_administrative landuse are not commercial

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 10:06:48 UTC 2014

> What about landuse=civil ?
>
> Oxford defines as attribute "of or relating to ordinary citizens and their
> concerns,
> as distinct from military or ecclesiastical matters", and
> in law as "relating to private relations between members of a community;
> noncriminal"
>
> Thus it includes civil government, civil services, civil affairs, civil
> law, civil defence.
> Thus land occupied by tax/pension/immigration offices, ministries,
> parliaments and their subsidiaries.
>
> It would semantically exclude military, religious, judical/prison areas.

I'm opposing "civil" or "civic" by the definitions you cited above, because
it would mean all land excluded that used for military and religious
purposes, i.e. it would include residential, commercial (when there is no
military or church), retail (if its not a religious institution selling
something), industrial (if ...) etc.

I don't see this as helpful given the point from where we are starting (we
already tag residential, industrial, commercial, retail areas according to
the type of usage, regardless of the nature of the operator (military,
civilian, ecclesiastical)).

This would also imply a toplevel distinction between governments that are
civil, those that are military and those that are religious (not
necessarily a bad thing but might lead to strange tagging differences
between countries).

I don't think we should be looking for a "one tags catches all" solution,
and see which tags are needed (maintaining compatibility with our current
scheme) and what are the best words to describe them.

cheers,
Martin