[Tagging] governmental / public_administrative landuse are not commercial

johnw johnw at mac.com
Wed Nov 5 00:23:20 UTC 2014

To me, "Civic" is short for "Civic Services". Maybe I should make that clear. I updated the RFC page

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse%3Dcivic

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/civic

: of or relating to a city or town or the people who live there
: relating to citizenship or being a citizen

Hence,
"Services" of or relating to a city or town  ➛ government provided services to it's residents  ➛ Civic Services.

> This would also imply a toplevel distinction between governments that are civil, those that are military and those that are religious

Who cares what the government is. This is services to the citizens. I'm sure Iran and North Korea still have a tax office and a DMV.

There are large sections of many City centers dominated by government buildings.

Those complexes are distinct, The services they offer are usually monopolistic to the government, and deserve to differentiated.  There's no competition to the Tax office, the DMV, or the city council.

> we already tag residential, industrial, commercial, retail areas

City/regional/capital complexes are none of these.

> I don't think we should be looking for a "one tags catches all" solution

> we already tag residential, industrial, commercial, retail areas

The above are catch-alls, albeit business is divided into three groups. Religious was the other last missing catch-all (to me)

These are generic landuses.  If you want to create a ton of amenity tags to describe the actual function of the buildings beyond this class, then that is a great option too. I was suggesting a civic=subtag.

This seems very straight forward to me.  If you want to exclude something from this to have it's own landuse (judicial / penal) I'm all ears, but to deny that there is a need for a landuse for these clearly differentiated Government offices in city centers throughout the entire world seems incorrect.

Business-government-citizen-military-religion-farm-park. There's some mixing between them, but those are the big developed-land landuses ones to me. Civic covers the missing hole pretty well. The last missing hole.

javbw