[Tagging] path vs footway

NopMap ekkehart at gmx.de
Tue Nov 4 17:18:10 UTC 2014

Hi!

I consider footway to be exclusively for pedestrians.

If you apply the stricter german interpretation, then footway is for
pedestrians. Period.

If you apply the hierarchical english interpretation then footway is still
for pedestrians exclusively (while bicycle includes pedestrians and
bridleway includes both pedestrians and bicycles).

So path without any tags or with the intended access tags is the way to go.

Unfortunately, path is used both for wide, well-made urban
footways/cycleways (mostly with access tags) and for narrow nature trails
(mostly with no additional tags). So you can tell who can access the trail
but you still can't tell from highway=path which of the two it is.

I think the best way to resolve the frequent mixups due to the dual meaning
would be to re-introduce the highway=trail tag specifically for unmade
trails and reserve path for its original meaning as multi-purppose way.

bye, Nop