[Tagging] place=island wiki page - coastline

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:11:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 11:29:04AM +0100, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> > > Would is be possible to make natural=coastline usage more clear on
> > > place=island wiki page?
> >
> > or - would it be possible to make coastline work for lakes as well?
> >

> I recall from older discussions that mappers prefer to keep the semantics
> clean. If it is a lake, it shouldn't be tagged as "coast" (you could use
> "shoreline"?), because a coast implies a sea or an ocean. From a practical
> point of view, including big lakes into the coastline extract would be
> something useful for many people using a rendering approach similar to that
> of carto-osm, but it doesn't necessarily require to twist tagging.

how is that clean, Lake Eerie is a lake, Caspian sea is a sea, Baikal lake...

Even worse, some cross-broder water-bodies can be a lake in one language and
sea in the other language on the other sea/lake-shore.

>From a practical pov I would prefer
* no distinction at all - or
* distinction based on approximate size and complexity

Richard