[Tagging] place=island wiki page - coastline

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:20:57 UTC 2014

> how is that clean, Lake Eerie is a lake, Caspian sea is a sea, Baikal
> lake...

Yes, Caspian Sea should be mapped as coastline, Baikal and Eerie not. If
they aren't like this at the moment, then it might change (there is some
fluctuation I have noticed in the past years, retagging forth and back)

> Even worse, some cross-broder water-bodies can be a lake in one language
> and
> sea in the other language on the other sea/lake-shore.

typical distinction: freshwater. There might be some exceptions but I guess
they are very rare.

> From a practical pov I would prefer
> * no distinction at all - or
> * distinction based on approximate size and complexity

then you should probably aim at the introduction of a different tag to
describe them (e.g. shoreline).

cheers,
Martin