[Tagging] governmental / public_administrative landuse are not commercial

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 7 07:30:30 UTC 2014

I would not expect the landuse value of the municipal bus company's HQ
to change if the bus company was privatised... Only the ownership will
have changed, nothing else. Actually, as the buildings are probably
leased from a property company anyway, even that would stay the same.
Just the shareholders of the company would different.

So I would suggest "civic" or "government" or whatever should only be
applied where the activities taking place there are actually "civic
administration" - council meetings, committees, births/deaths/marriages,
highways,..... i.e. the core business of a local authority as defined in
law. Sidelines like running transport companies or sports grounds are
not "landuse=civic" to my mind.

C.

On 2014-11-07 08:16, Marc Gemis wrote:

> My question was indeed for their offices (head-quarters etc.)
>
> regards

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 7:54 AM, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:
>
> That is an interesting question. I think that falls outside the goal of this tag but I am unsure. In America, Amtrak is nationalized, but I think most of their facilities would fall under transportation related things - railway stations, etc. but their main office, which is not a train station, would be landuse=civic(_admin) I think.
>
> The bus station would be transportation related, but their office, where all the paper-pushers reside, (who administers the service)
> Would probably be similarly tagged.
>
> Javbw
>
> On Nov 7, 2014, at 3:32 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What about buildings of public transport companies (bus, train, airplane) that are owned and operated by the government. I assume they should be added to the "civic" part ?
> I know more and more countries are turning those companies into privately owned, but there are probably countries where this is not the case.
>
> regards
>
> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 2:32 AM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
> To help us making up our minds which tag to prefer, or to check
> if we should use two of them, I have started a table of use cases
> that would suit one ore the other tag class better, and started
> with some examples, on the Talk page.
>
> Tom Pfeifer wrote on 2014-11-05 11:21:
> Matthijs Melissen wrote on 2014-11-05 01:27:
>> I might have missed it in the discussion, but why not simply
>> landuse=governmental?
>
> Well that was among my first ideas, hence the subject of this thread.
> We are currently collecting the arguments for each potential tags on the
> Talk page, feel free to contribute there or here:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/landuse%3Dcivic#Alternative_values [1]
>
> I start thinking that we might need even two tags, one for the civic/municipal cases
> and one for the govenmental/administration ones.

Links:
------
[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/landuse%3Dcivic#Alternative_values