[Tagging] Rooftop parking -> new parking=rooftop value?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 09:34:43 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:22 PM, johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

>> Therefore, would prefer a generic tag that can be added to any feature,
>> e.g. location=rooftop.

-1
'location' is already a bad keyword in OSM. Like "type", it is too
generic and could be used for every thing.

> On Nov 11, 2014, at 9:36 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> Those are excellent ideas. Then you could use location=rooftop (or similar)
> to place basically anything on the roof, including multistory or surface
> parking structures. Garden roofs come to mind.

I think the roof is part of the building 3d or levels mapping. We
should not create a new use of "location" just for that. I could also
imagine that in some buildings, the parking is somewhere in the middle
and not necessarily on the top or on the bottom of the building, in
which case you will have to invent a new tag for that.
I would prefer something like "level=roof" or "level=3". Just where
the parking(s) is in the building.

Pieren