[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Water tap

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Nov 13 05:50:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Kotya Karapetyan <kotya.lists at gmail.com>
wrote:
>> amenity=nonpotable_water
>>     with a hose size specified (e.g. MHT or GHT for the United States,
BSP
>> elsewhere)
>>
>> drinking_water=yes/no
>>     an attribute on something else, such as a campsite, cabin or toilet
>
> OK, so where does a water tap with unknown water quality land in your
> breakdown?
> So what's your suggestion for a water source of unknown potability?

Let's start with the cases:

* Designated potable, as in from a city tap.
* Designated non-potable, as in from a farm ditch, or purple pipe (USA).
This would include designated irrigation water of most sorts.
* Potable but with a known defect such as high mineral content.
* Unspecified.  This may cover most backcountry springs where no testing is
done, but no promises are made.
* Compromised.  For example a muddy spring or clearly impacted water source
usable only in dire emergencies.

Note we have quite a number of water types in OSM already, including water
for stock,
water in decorative fountains, water taps, and water from natural springs.
There are many more,
such as for example vending machine that sells bottled water.

---

I prefer a clear tag to indicate the *designated* potability, separate from
the *inferred* potability.
A sign reading 'non-potable' should clearly be marked, even if everyone
drinks from it
without treatment.  Both designated and inferred potability are useful.