[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Water tap

Kotya Karapetyan kotya.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 08:39:53 UTC 2014

Mateusz, I agree. A mapper should never introduce, even by implication,
information he doesn't possess. "This water is non-potable" is very
different from "I am not sure you can drink it". This is why I tend to go
for a generic "water source" tag with an additional potability
specification.

Taking into account everything said, I would propose:
1) To introduce a key "water_source".
2) The values will be: potable, nonpotable, yes (or is "potability_unknown"
better?)
3) Deprecate "amenity=drinking_water" in favour of "water_source=potable"
4) All other related tags remain as is:
natural=spring
natural=water
amenity=water_point
man_made=water_well
waterway=water_point
and define the type of water source with more detail.
5) Man_made=water_tap can still be introduced, to accompany
man_made=water_well. However, the main purpose of this proposal is served
by the most general water_source tag.

I do understand that this goes somewhat out of the existing scheme. However:
- Can you propose a better solution, not just criticise the proposal
(criticism is very welcome, but please try to bring the discussion closer
to the agreement)?
- I think that the existing situation with the top-level
"amenity=drinking_water" is a rather poor solution, even if widely used.
Once again, please take into account that OSM was originally introduced in
developed countries, thus the established tagging system comes from their
realities. OSM is now gaining popularity in developing countries, and the
tagging system is bound to be dynamic if we don't want to end up with a
very low quality map (with either non-tagged features or with dozens of
custom or wrong tags). Also keep in mind that mappers from developing
countries are not extremely likely to participate in this English-language
discussion.

Finally, I would advocate the start of discussion to standardize the
tagging system, make it more uniform and thus mapper- and
consumer-friendly. Just keep it in mind please when considering this
specific proposal.

Cheers,
Kotya