[Tagging] Feature proposal - Street cabinet - Voting

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Mon Nov 17 14:43:53 UTC 2014

On 17/11/2014 15:14, althio forum wrote:
> Martin, Jean-Marc, I appreciate the feedback. You are voicing some
> good elements. I am not totally convinced yet about generic vs
> specific. Fairly generic tag like 'man_made=cabinet' sounds very
> sensible as first level. Furthermore I do feel other proposal I have
> seen like 'street_' and 'technical_' are not necessary and not even
> useful.
>
> [Derailing a bit]
> IMO it is a poor justification to compare a brand new tag (here
> 'street_cabinet') with the 10-year old established name of the project
> 'Openstreetmap'.
>
> Even more... Historical justification is sometimes inevitable but
> often it is rather unsatisfactory in my mind. [..]

I may have been stretching the 'Openstreetmap' case a bit. I agree with
your arguments - my personal choice would be technical_cabinet. I
nevertheless chose to approve the proposal because I considered this
issue minor compared to all the work that went in organizing the
scheme... The issue smelt a lot like bikeshedding to me and experience
in free software projects shows that it is usually better to avoid focus
on that. I may be wrong - it could also be a fundamental modeling issue
that we will regret eternally.

One may have suspected a French telco etymological bias as we call those
cabinets 'armoires de rue' - literally 'street cabinet'... But as the
proposal's page history and its approval signatures show, the consensus
is actually international. So for once, the French telco mafia is not to
blame.