[Tagging] sport= non-physical tags and the exceptions people come up with...

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 13:13:07 UTC 2014

> According to the approved
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Club
> chess has an own club=chess, as has fishing, automobile, hiking - all
> of which can be either leisure type or sport type activities.

I think "club=automobile" for a motorsport / racing club would not be very
well chosen as this might really mean a lot of different things, some of
them clearly neither "leisure" nor "sport", e.g. the "ADAC" (biggest German
automobile club, almost every 4th German is a member,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADAC ) does organize also some racing event,
but is mostly seen as kind of insurance if your car breaks down (and as
very strong political lobbyist advocating mainly individual motorized
traffic).

Documentation of the club tag is very scarse at the moment:
http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:club and I am not sure how it can be improved,
e.g. if I wanted to write something about club=automobile, would I have to
write to all the mappers that have put these 127 club=automobile on the
map, to ask what they have used the tag for?

cheers,
Martin