[Tagging] custom road ref shields

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Nov 28 00:53:19 UTC 2014

On 11/27/14 6:48 PM, johnw wrote:
> I think having it on the relation is a great idea, especially since
> adding the tags to all the road segments sounds like an insane amount
> of tagging . Is this something that we should ask Phil to create a
> formal proposal page for the tags, so we can start adding symbol key
> values to relations? I think the hard thing is to actually get things
> tagged.

the basic scheme doesn't require anything new or unusual in
route relation tagging, just care and consistency.

> The only suggestion I have is that we make it able to handle two or
> three - as putting the ref in a symbol is good, but we should be able
> to add a second one as well, to cover different situations where the
> relation is part of an even larger system (like the California scenic
> highway system, or similar.) - or would that just be another single
> icon applied to a different relation (or super-relation) that shares
> some of the segments, and they just both get their single symbol
> rendered? In some cases the symbol rendered would not need to use the
> ref from the road.
well, multiple relations are handled decently in Phil's system.

here is an example from Albany & Rensselaer NY:

http://bl.ocks.org/ToeBee/raw/6119134/#14/42.6351/-73.7394

where you can see interstate shields, US highway shields,
NY state highway shields, and county route shields (the
blue pentagonal shields). note the primary of US 9 & US 20;
there is a relation for each of those highways and Phil's code
handles the case well.

more specialized shields are handled as well; here is
an example of a NY State parkway system shield on
the Taconic State Parkway:

http://bl.ocks.org/ToeBee/raw/6119134/#15/42.2525/-73.6169

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net