[Tagging] tagging for graves?

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 16:09:08 UTC 2014

Thanks for the reply Martin, I'd seen you weighing in on this on the wiki.

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I noticed a user adding some individual grave sites of "ordinary" people
>> and am wondering what the recommended tagging is, if any. Here are some
>> things I could find being used (are there others?):
>>
>>    - cemetery=grave [1] taginfo: 726 uses
>>

> this seems bad tagging to me, because a grave is not a type of cemetery.

I agree--should there be a stronger statement against using this on the
wiki page? (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:landuse%3Dcemetery)
Or maybe send ceyockey a message?

>>    - grave=* [2] taginfo: 17 uses
>>

> could be OK, what are the values?

For the little actual usage, it's mostly "grave=yes". There are many (maybe
too many?) additional tagging values on the proposal page I linked to.

>>    - historic=tomb, tomb=* [3] taginfo: 3087 uses total, of which 1778
>>    are tomb=tombstone (but the wiki notes this is only for "important or
>>    well-known persons")
>>

> IMHO you could use this for all kind of people, if the tagging makes sense
> at all in this way. Not sure if "tomb" is a word suitable for an ordinary
> grave, I have originally introduced this tag for more significant
> structures like tumuli in etruscan necropoles or rock-cut tombs or
> columbariums or mausoleums or pyramids. "tomb=tombstone" might also be
> strange tagging because a "tombstone" is not a subtype of a tomb, or is it?
> Someone has added this to the tomb page but without further notice on the
> mailing lists. If tomb is a suitable term, I think the value should be
> something like "ordinary_grave" or "grave" and not "tombstone" which is
> really a part of a tomb/grave and not a type of tomb itself.
>
> Tomb sounds a little odd in English for a regular grave. But, clearly
people are searching for something to use.

I did some looking via overpass for the three tag schemes I mentioned
above, and even for the first two (cemetery=grave and grave=*) most graves
seem to be well-known figures, with many of them also tagged historic=*.
So, it doesn't help much to get at what to do for the grave of an "ordinary
person".

The vast majority of grave tags seem to be in Germany. Has there been any
sort of discussion of this on the DE list?

Thanks,
Brad

cheers,