[Tagging] governmental / public_administrative landuse are not commercial

johnw johnw at mac.com
Sat Oct 4 04:58:31 UTC 2014

a few months ago I laid out the case for landuse=civic It's literal definition is a little restrictive, but basically all government admin and services. from a brance office of the city hall to the UN building. local to supranational.

There was so much back and forth over it - do we need a voting page now?

> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote on 2014-10-03 20:02:
> > what about not-for-profit companies? NGOs etc.
>
> landuse=organi[z|s]ational ? [oxford allows the 'z'-spelling for BrE, but 's' as well]

Usually the government services are monopolistic - courts, police, elected officials (there's only 1 mayor) tax offices, DMV, etc, whereas NGO s and non-profits are a business model to support some activity. thehospital could be run by a church, an NGO, or by the city, but it's still a hospital. A clinic. a pet hospital. maybe we need an amenity=homeless shelter? I dunno.