[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - relation type=person

Paweł Marynowski yarl at openstreetmap.pl
Mon Oct 13 16:55:26 UTC 2014

OK, so I wasn't invloved in creating this proposal, but as a part of Polish
community I want to add few words about this.

The idea was to reflect, the best we can, situation with graves. I think
most of us agree, that we should separate information about grave itself
(type, material, address) and people inside - we also don't add eg. birth
date to monuments of famous people. So what choice do we have?

We can add standard tags to grave node (but as I said, it rather should be
avoided), but things are going nasty, when we have 5 people in one grave.
Tags semicolon-separated? Pure nightmare to edit and easy to break it, when
we want to add more than just peoples' names.

A lot of people mentioned Wikidata. Do you know the rules of Wikidata?
There are notability rules[1], so it's simply not possible to store
information about every person there.

Here you have real example, grave with three people:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1943454485
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cmentarz_Rakowicki_Grob_Dietla.jpg
 (photo)
http://osmtools.org/groby/#lat=50.07499&lon=19.95284&z=18 (custom data
browser)

I will be more than happy to find better solution to map graves like this
not using relations.

Comments, that this is 'crazy' is actually not really nice...

[1] https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Notability

Cheers,
Paweł

> Hi all,
>
> Within 2 weeks, I discovered the "person" relation on this ML and
> found another (local) thread questioning the pertinence of this
> relation in OSM. Because an OSM relation collecting all information
> about a "person" is not something obvious for me and this idea has
> never been really discussed globally, I moved the wiki page back as a
> proposal and would like to open a vote about this and get your
> feedback here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Relation:person#Voting
>
> Pieren

*Paweł Marynowski*