[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - relation type=person

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Tue Oct 14 12:58:57 UTC 2014

Hi! I've noticed today there is an epic voting battle on the fields of
wiki. Hundreds of mappers came to state their disapproval of person
relation type. I wonder how many of them actually mapped one, or even
seen such relations. I found some of them in 2011, and posted an entry
in SHTOSM about such relations. After at least three years, this
proposal is not about new relation type, and you should understand
this.

There are 1648 relations of type=person already in the database. It's
#17 in the taginfo, it has a JOSM plugin and probably some related
websites. The proposal is basically about documenting a relation type.
It either can be found in the wiki, or not. Nobody here has the power
of removing all such relations from the database. Are mappers who add
it allowed to document what they are doing? Right now it seems the
majority of voters thinks otherwise.

Some say, you cannot make something appear in the database just by
passing proposals in the wiki. You should do some mapping first. Well,
poles have been mapping for 4 years. Is it enough? Or should they have
waited another 4 years, so there are 10k relations of this type? It is
a part of OpenStreetMap, whether you like it or not. It won't go away
if you vote "no" on the proposal, and there won't be less such
relations added. So this is not about a new type. This is about
documenting something that has been mapped for years.

And now, this far into mapping "persons" in OSM, you should not
prevent documenting established relation types, but help document them
better.

IZ