[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - relation type=person

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 17:17:28 UTC 2014

On 15/10/2014, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Finding the tomb you want in a cemetery is *hard* and I'd love to be
>> able to use OSM for it (probably via a specialized smartphone app). A
>> particular tomb is like any POI, OSM should enable me to find it. Not
>> all cemeteries are well organised enough to have grave or even row
>> numbers. This is not only about noteworthy people either, one should
>> be able to map a cemetery exhaustively.
>>

> Simple question: why?
>
> If those are relatives of you, you should know where they are buried. If
> not, you should not care. Really not.

True personal story: I wanted to visit my grandfather's grave but
never found it in the cemetery. My memory of the burial was lacking,
there was no on-site map, I'm not very comfortable talking with that
side of the familly, and it was only a serendipitous visit.

In my experience, on-site cemetery maps are rare, but I'm sure it
differs from one country to the next.

Of course there's also the case of famous people's graves being
visited by lots of non-relatives, like many in the "Cimetière Père
Lachaise" in Paris, but that's another story.