[Tagging] Problems with historic=tomb

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:27:55 UTC 2014

> In addition to tomb=* and cemetery=grave, there's also this proposal:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Grave
>
> The proposal states it is "mainly for [graves] without historic value"

Thank you for pointing to this. It seems strange to add the "grave:" prefix
to all keys, e.g. "ref", "inscription" etc. because typically you can get
this context by the object to which a tag is applied to. If this context is
not clear from the mapping than this is usually a sign that there is some
problem in the mapping (several entities mixed up into one osm object).

I do not understand the "mainly for graves without historic value" part.
Does this exclude graves with historic value, or is it simply a hint that
there are far more graves for ordinary people than there are for famous
ones?

cheers,
Martin

PS: Usage of the cemetery=grave tag should be discouraged: single graves
aren't subtypes of cemeteries (and we shouldn't encourage different tagging
schemes for graves on cemeteries and graves on churchyards, at least IMHO).