[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - (brickkiln)"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 11:50:01 UTC 2014

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/brickkiln

I have seen on your proposal page that you are aware of the introduced
man_made=kiln
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dkiln

My suggestion is to use this established tagging scheme. If the only
problem you see is that there are no size connotations on a node, then
please use that tag on an area. There is also a suggestion to add
product=bricks on the kiln page, so rather then proposing a new tag
brickkiln you could use
man_made=kiln
and
product=bricks

You are also proposing a long list of additional tags, some of which are
very detailed and I am not sure if these details are available to anyone
besides the operator of the kiln (but that's not a problem, time will show
which tags get adopted by the mappers and which aren't). If you are
interesting in evaluating these tags I'd propose you add a list of possible
values to these tags.

In particular:

firing
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:firing&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Type of firing used. eg: continuous

what are the other firing types?

 chimney
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:chimney&action=edit&redlink=1>
=yes/no To denote the existence of the chimney  chimney
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:chimney&action=edit&redlink=1>
:number
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:number&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Number of the chimney in the brick kiln area

maybe chimney:amount would be easier to understand? or chimney_count
(similar to step_count for steps)?

 chimney
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:chimney&action=edit&redlink=1>
:height <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:height>=<height in
meters> Height
of the top of the chimney from ground-level in meters. (like Tag:man
made=tower <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dtower>)
chimney
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:chimney&action=edit&redlink=1>
:category
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:category&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Type of chimney existing in the brick kiln area

My suggestion would be to map the chimneys individually with their own
objects. You could then omit the related chimney tags on the kiln area and
use simple and well established general tags like "height" on the
individual chimney. Also the chimney number would be mapped implicitly by
mapping the single chimneys.

 fuel <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fuel>=* Fuel used to heat the
kiln  quantity_fuel
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:quantity_fuel&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Quantity of the fuel required

required for what? In what time? In what unit should it be entered (if at
all)? Maybe this is a detail that is hard to get.

 moulding_process
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:moulding_process&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* The moulding process used to produce bricks

what are the possibilities/suggested values?

 drying_system
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:drying_system&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Drying system used to dry the bricks

what are the possibilities/suggested values?

 material <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:material>=* Type of
material used to produce bricks

if this refers to the bricks and not to the kiln, the tag should be
different, e.g. brick:material or brick:type

what are the possibilities/suggested values?

 production
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:production&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Actual production of the brick kiln

what does this mean? Whether the kiln is active? The type of bricks it
produces?

 production_capacity
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:production_capacity&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* The production capacity of the brick kiln

measured in which unit? I'd suggest to use "capacity" like it is suggested
in the klin reference.

 quality_brick
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:quality_brick&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Amount of quality bricks

is this a QA thing? Should it be a percentage of "capacity"? I think I'd do
it the other way round if significant and varying a lot between different
kilns. Something like "discard=65%"

 brick_kind
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:brick_kind&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Kind of bricks produced

what are the possibilities/suggested values?

 workers
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:workers&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Number of workers  workers
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:workers&action=edit&redlink=1>
:male <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:male>=* Number of male
workers  workers
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:workers&action=edit&redlink=1>
:female <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:female>=* Number of female
workers

could be ok to tag, but how are you going to get these numbers? How much do
they vary? Is there a strong community to keep these details updated?

 workers
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:workers&action=edit&redlink=1>
:illiterate
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:illiterate&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Number of illiterate workers  workers
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:workers&action=edit&redlink=1>
:edu_informal
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:edu_informal&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Number of people with informal education working  workers
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:workers&action=edit&redlink=1>
:edu_SLC
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:edu_SLC&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Number of people who passed SLC working  workers
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:workers&action=edit&redlink=1>
:studying
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:studying&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Number of people currently studying working  workers
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:workers&action=edit&redlink=1>
:edu_cost
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:edu_cost&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Education cost of the workers

are you planning an import and you have these numbers available already? I
believe while there might be a usecase, these details seem an exxageration
for a general purpose database like that of OSM and too ephemeral to be
kept updated in our context. My suggestion would be to keep these separate
and use OSM for basic stuff like the position and some fundamental details.

 operating_season
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:operating_season&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Number of operating months  market
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:market&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Name of the market where the bricks are sold

how stable is this? How do you get the information?

 landownership
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:landownership&action=edit&redlink=1>
=* Type of ownership of the land where brick kiln is located

what are the possible values? IMHO this would not be an attribute for the
kiln, but for the land that it sits on.

cheers,
Martin