[Tagging] man_made=bridge

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Fri Oct 17 15:01:26 UTC 2014

On 17.10.2014 15:40, Lukas Sommer wrote:
> The downside is that in the example the cycleway would loose the connection
> with the bridge area. While humans can understand that this is probably
> another layer of the same bridge, it will be more difficult for software to
> determine that this cycleway belongs to this bridge.

I already defined the criteria. The algorithm is trivial.

> We could always share nodes with the bridge area
> if it belongs to the same bridge - independent of the layer of the
> individual ways. So it will be much easier for software to work with that data.

It may be easier to do something with the data, but whatever you do with
wrong data will be a mess in the end. We'd better keep our data straight and
leave it over to application developers to decide what to do with it.

> Why not defining the outline for bridge areas as the widest part
> of the bridge?)

Yes, I think that the outline should enclose the whole bridge.

> The connection of the cycleway with the bridge is maybe not
> elegant. But I think doing so we can gain more of information quality and
> usability than we risk to loose.

Please don't talk of quality when condemning correctness.