[Tagging] RFC Tagging for complex junctions

Lukas Sommer sommerluk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 18:30:43 UTC 2014

Yes, I’m aware of
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/highway=junction

However,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/highway=junction
focuses on the tagging style of intersecting roads and proposes to not
connect them anymore and so avoid turn restrictions. But
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/Tagging_for_complex_junctions
focuses on the junction area. I would prefer to keep both discussions
separate. (My first combined proposal for complex junctions and traffic
signals has shown that mixing up to much topics makes the discussion
harder.) However, I think both things are compatible.

Concerning the tag: junction=yes or highway=junction or something
completely different? The tag junction=yes is ugly, but currently yet in
use for simple junctions. If we decide to use highway=junction for the
area, we should use it also for the simple sections and move the existing
nodes with junction=yes to highway=junction. However, I’m open for both
solutions…

Lukas

Lukas Sommer