[Tagging] Pre-RFC: shop=mall versus shop=shopping_centre

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Oct 21 22:20:34 UTC 2014

Sent from my iPad

> On Oct 21, 2014, at 10:45 PM, Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was also thinking that landuse=retail makes more sense than either mall or shopping_centre. If you have a big building enclosing lots of shops, you can tag it building=mall.
>
> johnw, I understand the distinction you're making (I would call your "shopping_centre" a "strip mall", I think). But do you really hear people use these terms without overlap? Do you have some evidence of this usage? For example, in wikipedia, the page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shopping_centres_in_the_United_Kingdom distinguishes shopping centres (what you're defining as malls) from retail parks (which you're defining as shopping centres).

A strip mall is usually much smaller. It doesn't have any anchor stores. Although many of them have names, most people refer to the store itself as their destination. "I'm going to ___shop"

They would never, ever, ever say "I'm going to the mall" for any of my shopping centre examples - but that would be the common term for referring to a large mall. They would also refer to the mall by name - "I love going to Hanyu Aeon!" - but almost never my def of a shopping_centre.

Malls are a city-wide or regional shopping attraction, distinct from a local group of shops on the side of the road.

If we want to keep these "car centric, amenity free, roadside shopping areas" (whatever you want to call them) just in landuse=retail, and kill off shopping_centre, that's fine.  But the definition of mall needs to narrowed a bit to avoid this confusion.

Even though there is a couple satellite shops in a retail anchor store's space - anything with a couple shops inside is in no way a mall. Most really large supermarkets have small rental spots for a bank, florist, coffee  shop,, dry cleaner, or a donut shop. But 3 little stores doesn't make it a mall.  A mall is a big, special place.

Javbw