[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

Kytömaa Lauri lauri.kytomaa at aalto.fi
Fri Oct 24 23:10:48 UTC 2014

Personally, i use maxheight = x  + maxheight:physical=x for these, but saying that signs are the only thing that can be tagged gives bad data.

You may not collide with a bridge, signed or unsigned. Ultrasound range finders can sometimes be purchased for under 10 euros, so without a sign there may still be a real maximum possible height for a vehicle passing under that - bridge or any other - construction.

In most countries, "no sign" should only guarantee that a vehicle under the local legal limit can expect not to hit any permanent structures, unless they have signs. Should, but not necessarily would.

Statements to the effect that any tags can only refer to signposted limits do not represent the original usages of the tag - only some access tags referred to legal accessibility.

--
alv