[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Sun Oct 26 20:09:34 UTC 2014

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote on 2014-10-26 20:26:
>> Am 24.10.2014 um 20:53 schrieb Tom Pfeifer:
>>
>> I would recommend to add maxheight=unsigned to the English and other wiki
>> pages, and list maxheight=none as incorrect tagging.
>

> unsigned maxheight is the typical situation in all areas that I've been to.
 > In some (all?) countries there is still a default height, eg implied by
 > vehicle regulations  4m in many countries.

Yes I agree, but which is the implication for tagging?

For me, maxheight=none makes no sense at all, and I would like to
flag that as a tagging mistake in the Wiki, while I have some
sympathy for keeping a record of the absence of restrictions.

A route for a high vehicle is more reliable if there is confirmation
that somebody has already checked the absence of restrictions,
compared to a situation where a restriction exists that has simply
not been tagged yet.

Or should we consider height restrictions as rare enough not to
encourage tagging the default?

Tom