[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 09:13:59 UTC 2014

On 26/10/2014, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote on 2014-10-26 20:26:
>>> Am 24.10.2014 um 20:53 schrieb Tom Pfeifer:
>>>
>>> I would recommend to add maxheight=unsigned to the English and other wiki
>>> pages, and list maxheight=none as incorrect tagging.
>>

>> unsigned maxheight is the typical situation in all areas that I've been
>> to.
>  > In some (all?) countries there is still a default height, eg implied by
>  > vehicle regulations  4m in many countries.
>
> Yes I agree, but which is the implication for tagging?
>
> For me, maxheight=none makes no sense at all, and I would like to
> flag that as a tagging mistake in the Wiki, while I have some
> sympathy for keeping a record of the absence of restrictions.

Agreed. Signs are useful for the driver and the mapper, but they don't
change the physical reallity of the height restriction. If you don't
have a good maxheight value handy (either thanks to a sign or via your
own measurement), just tag an approximate one (erring on the low side
for safety reasons) and add fixme. Or if you don't trust yourself
doing that, don't tag anything.