[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:28:10 UTC 2014

On 27/10/2014, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The maxheight=* tag maps the physical limitation, not the sign (which
>> can be absent or even wrong). Tagging maxheight=none really makes no
>> sense.
>
> no, the maxheight tag maps the legal restriction (typically derived from a
> sign, in absence of a sign might be implied by other legal provisions). For
> physical restrictions use maxheight:physical (in some countries this is
> even signed).

True; I was tempted to amend my sentence to note the physical/legal
nuance, but decided against it for the sake of clarity. In most cases,
physical and legal maxheight are pretty much the same.

My main point was that what is signposted on the bridge is just a
"nice to have hint" from the mapper's point of view. What matters is
the actual legal/physical limitation.