[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 10:17:51 UTC 2014

> The maxheight=* tag maps the physical limitation, not the sign (which
> can be absent or even wrong). Tagging maxheight=none really makes no
> sense.

no, the maxheight tag maps the legal restriction (typically derived from a
sign, in absence of a sign might be implied by other legal provisions). For
physical restrictions use maxheight:physical (in some countries this is
even signed). For the actual clearance height we could still use another
tag like "height" (maybe better not, as this would IMO imply the height of
the road, i.e. from the surface downwards) or more explicitly
"clearance_height".

cheers,
Martin