[Tagging] natural=bay as nodes are evil

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Oct 27 16:37:19 UTC 2014

On Monday 27 October 2014, Janko Mihelić wrote:
> > I can't help but notice that in the whole discussion here no
> > argument has been put formward indicating a practical advantage of
> > bays mapped as polygons other than the ease of rendering labels.
>
> Reverse geocoding. A boat comes to a bay, captain looks on a screen,
> and it says "You are in Guantanamo Bay".

But this is exactly what does not work with a hand mapped polygon either
since the edge of the bay is not well defined.

It seems to me the desire to have bays mapped as polygons here stems
from the desire to apply such simple concepts as 'you are either inside
or outside the bay'.  But reality is more complex than that.  Mapping
them as polygons would be nothing but cargo cult towards this aim.

A node tagged natural=bay means: the water around here, up to the coast
around and out to open water for a similar distance, maybe somewhat
further, is a bay and is named ...

This is a much more accurate description of reality than a polygon.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/