[Tagging] natural=bay as nodes are evil

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 16:02:08 UTC 2014

> I can't help but notice that in the whole discussion here no argument
> has been put formward indicating a practical advantage of bays mapped
> as polygons other than the ease of rendering labels.

Reverse geocoding. A boat comes to a bay, captain looks on a screen, and it
says "You are in Guantanamo Bay". So with your suggestion either the
application is going to need a preprocessed database, or it will have to
make it's own fuzzy logic.

If it's so easy to make that logic, why don't you make a little script, and
we can try it out on our examples. If it works in 95% of cases, maybe
that's the best solution. We can map the rest 5% with polygons. Making it
easy for the mapper is certainly a worthwhile cause.

Janko