[Tagging] natural=bay as nodes are evil

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:57:54 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 04:28:53PM -0400, Eric Kidd wrote:

> But the key point here is that none of these official sources represent
> bays as polygons. GNIS uses a pointssomewhere in the bay. The nautical
> charts print the name somewhere in the middle of the bay. Effectively, the
> official data really is a point, plus whatever guesswork a human reader
> supplies.

+1

Also, I am reading the arguments about estimating bay area so I am curious
- when was the last time someone asked about bay area in square kilometers?
I think it makes only sense in the context of territorial waters, fishing or
mining rights etc. In such cases there will be an officially supplied boundary
that can be used but will not necessarily agree with traditional extent of the
bay.

Richard