[Tagging] natural=bay as nodes are evil

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:18:43 UTC 2014

> Also, I am reading the arguments about estimating bay area so I am curious
> - when was the last time someone asked about bay area in square kilometers?
> I think it makes only sense in the context of territorial waters, fishing
> or
> mining rights etc.

The assumption is that a large bay will typically be more important than a
smaller bay. For a good rendering you'd show only the more important bay
names in medium zoom level and show the less important ones in higher zoom
levels. You would use the size to decide which name to omit in case you'd
not have space to render all of them.

Territorial waters are at most loosely connected to bays, because you don't
use the coastline to determine them, you use the baseline.

Cheers,
Martin