[Tagging] what does maxheight=none mean?

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:24:40 UTC 2014

On 29/10/2014, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Friedrich Volkmann <bsd at volki.at> wrote:
>
>> (...) But when we see nothing, it's plain wrong to add something to the
>> database.
>
> But it's a common practice today in OSM. It seems you missed the long
> discussions about "noname=yes" or "oneway=no". Such tags don't say
> "here is nothing". It says that someone went on place and checked that
> the restriction does not apply. Otherwise, we cannot differenciate
> surveyed locations and missing information in OSM.

The comparision doesn't apply well. "no" is a valid value for the
"oneway" key. "noname" uses a different key than the one it relates to
(instead of using "name=none" or "name=unsigned"). And both tags are
definitive, whereas "maxheight:signed=no" (or whatever) is just
waiting for a better tooled or experienced mapper to do the survey.