[Tagging] Route relations - Forward & Backward

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Sep 5 18:58:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/2014 12:31, Jo wrote:
>

>> In bus route relations the ways don't get roles.
>>
>>  Why's that? How would you tag a circular route that goes only clockwise?

I might use a role for the ways in that case, just for disambiguation.

>  In this case some ways would be members twice.
>>

> As the Relation's IDs aren't necessarily consecutive, how does a router
> know which to follow? Or is there a way to sort them into order?

Yes, JOSM has sorting tools.  Also, there's always the
"From/Via/Destination" tags on the relation itself, in which routers can
sort out the order themselves with relatively little effort.

>  In walking and cycling route relations we do use them. Those are
>> bidirectional, whereas the bus and tram routes describe start to terminus
>> for all variations.
>>

> I'm unsure how you can suggest bus routes aren't bidirectional. They can
> go both ways along a way the same as walkers/cyclists.

Bicycle and walking routes rarely loop back on themselves on otherwise
linear routes.