[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tagging for complex junctions or traffic signals that are named

johnw johnw at mac.com
Tue Sep 16 22:06:21 UTC 2014

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the end goal is:

 - to have junction names in korea, regardless of if they are traffic lights, and the symbol used there doesn't imply traffic lights, just a junction.

- In Japan, the old junction system evolved to be named traffic signals, and the symbol used there a  (horizontal) "signal" - so the end goal is to have the name and the signal icon shown over the intersection with it's name.

so the "complex solution" is to map the the junction, (with different tags for Japan and Korea)  with the area's way sharing nodes with the traffic signals.

- in Japan's case, the complex solution must only render a single traffic icon, or it will ruin the purpose of using the intersection icon.

Note:
I'm not sure about Korea, but because there is no such thing as "street addresses" in Japan - just lot numbers in (sometimes random) sequence across the section, the sections are somewhat in a grid (regardless of what street is adjacent to the property, or what street it gets accessed from), all maps are used in a relative fashion (Start at Matsu Station, go two lights down, turn left at the temple, and turn right at intersection named "Honcho 3"), not in an absolute way (here's the 300 block of Main street, and my goal is 322 Main St, so it will be right about here). named intersections may be named in sequence, (Honcho 1, Honcho 2, Honcho 3 in order) but this is not really reflected in the location address.  Any ad for a business or shop has a tiny map printed on it to show you the way to the shop, and most neighborhoods have residential maps on fences to show you where people live, to use if you were visiting some location before the days of Google Maps. in the past, adverts always used the common starting point of a train station, showing you how many actual signals, any named signals, temples, gas stations, or schools that were the way to your destination.  This relative mapping has added Motorway Junctions and Primary Road junctions as starting points as time has gone on.  The gist of what I'm trying to say is that accurately rendering a single signal icon is paramount for using a rendered map in Japan, because counting the number of signals between you and your destination is a commonly used and commonly advertised method of navigation when not using a GPS/NAVI. The western way of using street addresses and road signs displaying names of roads means finding your way without landmarks is easy, and it is what OSM is built around, but it is not the way people use maps here in Japan. Since Residential, Unclassified, and Tertiary roads are not named in Japan, the iconography and labeling of things besides the roads themselves is much more important.

Javbw