[Tagging] landuse=grass => natural=grass

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 07:30:39 UTC 2014

Hi!

> We (in Polish forum) think, that changing landuse=grass into natural=grass
> would make better tagging scheme, since grass is seldom a "landuse" (like
> the tree is natural=tree, not the amenity or something else). How do you
> find this idea?

Not good. Contrary to other people I think that the readability of tags is
most  important, otherwise we could simply use tags like ptn=pnx or
road=flying_saucer and define that those tags mean "grass". Both could be
processed perfectly fine but obviously doesn't make any sense at all.

A while ago I wrote down some thoughts about a cleanup of
landuse/natural/surface with the intention of clearly separating those tags
and make it more easy to understand their meaning. I have to admit that I
lost interest in this area so my writing just sits there and waits for
someone to adopt it:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Imagic/landcover . The first
section "When to use ..." would be the most important in your case.
Therefore I would recommend landcover=grass in your case. If this area is
also used to e.g. produce hay I would also use landuse=meadow.

Best regards,
Martin