[Tagging] recommend tagging of volcanos as ways rather than nodes

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Apr 1 04:02:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:
> Generally speaking they can, of course, but in case of default osm-carto
> rendering there's no chance currently, since Andy is totally opposed to any
> subjective measures:
> However if we can find some - more or less - objective features, they could
> have some weight in rendering algorithm. In case of cities it's being/not
> being the admin_centre or population numbers, but I don't know what features
> could it be for volcanos. Maybe elevation, caldera diameter or being a
> tourist attraction?

The same type of 'big data' analysis used for cities might work.  How
well compared to trusting local mappers is harder to determine.

Wikipedia and newspaper reference counts are a start, on the notion
that more important places get mentioned more often.
But it's insanely limited, and gives an inherently global view of
what's really a local characteristic.  Without putting a microphone
in local coffee houses and railroad stations, you're just not going to know.