[Tagging] For your comment: New template: Unit summary

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 06:07:25 UTC 2015

On 3/04/2015 4:21 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> To try and make unit description consistent here is a proposed template.
> This would apply to tags like ele, est_width, circumference, height,
> width, maxwidth, minwidth, distance.  A separate table could be made
> for speed & weight.
>
> Use as follows:
> {{Unit_Tagging_Length|tag_name|furlongs}}

Chains? Perches? (Though the 'trade' that uses the perch is required ..
it changes between some) Cubits? How far back do 'we' go?

> The template is defined at:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Unit_Tagging_Length

Reference to SI on the page ? ..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units ?

Better explanations can be had from National Measurement Bodies ... NPL
uk, NIST USA, PTB Germany .. eg
www.npl.co.uk/reference/measurement-*units*/

There is an inconsistency in the use of a white space between the number
and the unit on the page.
Preference should be given to using a white space between the number and
the unit.
It is mandatory in scientific papers .. if your publishing. It also
stated in various 'style guides'. Possibly an ISO standard?
May be make it optional for data entry?

I like the default units myself... but then they as SI and that is what
I use for most things. Not happy with kPa for tyre pressure .. still use
PSI.