[Tagging] For your comment: New template: Unit summary

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Apr 3 08:39:24 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 1:01 AM, Lukas Sommer <sommerluk at gmail.com> wrote:

> > A wide variety of formats are acceptable:
>
> The list that is following this statement doesn’t contain “km”. It
> seems to be only a list of some non-mandatory examples

The template takes a parameter to adapt to different origin pages (e.g.
distance in km).

The core of the proposal lies elsewhere.  It is:
 *Current*
* Wiki Documents * *Proposed*
* Wiki Documents *  Use of default units is encouraged.
 Ask all mappers to specify the units for clarity, even if they are at
default.
  Syntax is tight, specifying whitespace, restricting choices.
 Put the burden on parsing.  Let the tagging be more human oriented. This
is what people do anyway, so any parser that actually wants data is
probably already doing this.
  Inconsistent treatment among tags.  Unit tagging rules are cut & pasted.
 Use a template to spread the same guidelines to all tags, easing future
updates.

Either way, a cleanup of the recognized units is in order (e.g. km,
m/meters/m, ft/feet/foot/" ).

>> It's not a contradiction, it's a proposal.
>So please move it to the “Proposal/” namespace.

That's not possible for a working template, as far as I can tell, as the
the template space is magic.  I can add a DRAFT status. Note the template
is not USED, so nobody other than readers of this list have seen it.