Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Fri Apr 3 09:08:44 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 1:08 AM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

>  At most they will be access=permissive. Public implies an inalienable
> right of access supported by law.

Permissive implies something far different to me.  It means that I can walk
onto the property without prior arrangement, and chances are nobody will
hassle me.

Permissive is used quite frequently for objects that are nominally private,
but habitually used by the public.
An fine example is a particular local rock park, or at least what looks
like a park.   It's not city owned, it's fully private,
and correctly tagged access=permissive.

The distinction between "open to any member of the public with funds to
pay" and "held in public trust" is somewhat murky in OSM.  The "held in
public trust" lands can and do charge fees, exclude non-payers, and enforce
compliance with rules.
 Also murky is proper tagging for "open to members only, but membership
applications are available to members of the public" access=members is not
established.