[Tagging] Proposal: Rename wiki status "Approved" to "Published"

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Apr 3 17:32:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 04/03/2015 06:09 PM, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> However, I don't think changing the status 'Approved' to 'Published'
> is a good idea. In my opinion, 'approved' is exactly what it is: a
> proposal approved by the OSM community.

No, approved is often misunderstood as "approved by the OSM community"
when in fact it is only "approved by a fraction of the OSM community".

> The fact that only a small number of people vote is not relevant, as
> anybody in the community can get involved in the tag selection process
> if they want to.

No, that is not sensible - it's a bit like the Hitchhiker's guide "you
could have read this if you had wanted to" thing. The OSM community has
never authorized anyone to make tag approval decisions on their behalf.

Bye
Frederik