[Tagging] Proposal: Rename wiki status "Approved" to "Published"

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Apr 3 17:08:46 UTC 2015

On 03/04/15 17:09, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> I appreciate your effort to bring more clarity in the different wiki
> statuses. However, I don't think changing the status 'Approved' to
> 'Published' is a good idea. In my opinion, 'approved' is exactly what
> it is: a proposal approved by the OSM community.

I couldn't disagree more. The list of 'approved' have not been approved
by the community, they have received a tick in a list from tiny number
of people in the community. Not only is this an insignificant number of
people but there are no controls to remove sock puppets and in no way
can this properly be called a vote.

> The fact that only a small number of people vote is not relevant, as
> anybody in the community can get involved in the tag selection process
> if they want to.

Just because people are able to get involved doesn't mean that they will
know the process even exists,  how to get involved, want to or even
care. Most people will just use the presets in an editor and may not
even know what a tag is. Saying people can get involved, when we know
almost no-one does, doesn't justify calling tag approved.

There are no approved tags in OSM.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly