[Tagging] Proposal: Rename wiki status "Approved" to "Published"

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 11:00:36 UTC 2015

In my opinion changing the word doesn't get rid of the problem. Especially
if the "word" - no matter if it is published, approved, whatever - is the
result of another glorious vote. There should be no "vote" at the end of
any discussion, because the discussion never ends! Especially there should
be no "vote" before the tag is used on a wide base and proves itself! (A
very, very bad habit that established itself on this mailing list in the
previous months.)

Instead of any "status" we should show to the wiki reader how wide the
acceptance and support of a given feature is. There should be a list of
supporting mappers, supporting applications and - if possible - a number
from taginfo. On each wiki page we should only show the number of
supporting mappers and applications (including a link to the respective
lists where) and the usage from taginfo.

Every new tag/feature should be a proposal for at least a year (yes, I mean
a year and not a week, day or hour). If after a year the tag/feature is
used(!) by the community, it will be moved outside the proposal namespace.
The determination of "used by the community" of course will be highly
subjective and we can not define rules for this, because the usage strongly
depends on the feature itself, e.g. camp-site features will have different
usage numbers than traffic signs. But the number of supporters will provide
some objective to the wiki readers.

Finally - some of you may ask now: what about the rejecters, disapprovers,
vetoers? Easy! They should find a better solution than the proposed one,
document it, use it, support it.

Best regards,
Martin