[Tagging] Which entities use area=yes

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 7 15:55:35 UTC 2015

Am 07.04.2015 um 17:31 schrieb Dave F.:

> As I was tidying up some data in my locale I noticed area=yes sub tag on
> natural=wood which, AFAIK isn't required.

+1

> From memory the only two I know that can require it are railway=platform
> & highway=pedestrian when drawn as closed ways. Are there any others &
> do other renderings have different rules regarding this?

railway=platform should not need it but renderer are sometimes dumb.

highway=service are often drawn as area and I have also seen
highway=path/footway

Another subject are aeroways=* though the last discussion ended in
preferring lines and have the renderer interpret width=*

There are some barriers like wall and retaining_wall (city_wall ? )
where an explicit area=yes makes sense.

In the end we could always use a multipolygon for areas where it might
make problems to distinguish between closed way but line and closed way
and area and could get rid of area=yes.

cu fly