[Tagging] Edit of wiki page amenity=drinking_water for man_made=water_tap

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:04:11 UTC 2015

On 8/04/2015 1:46 PM, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> Here in Thailand there are many vending machines that sell purified,
> ion exchanged I believe, water for drinking. Current practice seems to
> be to tag them with amenity=drinking_water and leave it at that. What
> opinions do you have on that?

Me?

I'd expand http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:vending%3Ddrinks

amenity=vending_machine
vending=drinks
drink:water=yes
payment:cash=yes

I think that would map what is on the ground. ? Other ideas?

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
> <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:

>     <mailto:61sundowner at gmail.com>>:
>
>         No. The correct way is
>
>         man_made=water_tap
>
>         drinking_water=yes
>
>         See the wiki..
>         http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwater_tap
>
>         The addition of amenity=drinking_water may get it rendered ..
>         but that is just tagging for the render.
>

>     no to your "no" and to the term "correct" ;-)
>
>     I agree with Mateusz, you can use amenity=drinking_water and
>     man_made=water_tap on the same object (if you want you can also
>     add the additional tag drinking_water=yes).

It is not a question or can or cannot, but one of should or should not.
 From the wiki /"when tagging a //natural
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:natural>=spring
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dspring>//that has
potable water for use, tag the spring with //drinking_water
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:drinking_water>=yes
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:drinking_water%3Dyes&action=edit&redlink=1>//."/
There is no suggestion of tagging this with amenity=drinking_water, nor
should there be.

I would think something tagged with both amenity=drinking_water and
man_made=tap has both a bubbler and a tap.

>     I don't think your edit to the drinking water tag page was
>     necessary, but it also doesn't seem you had introduced any
>     inconsistencies.

I do try not to damage things .. but improve, remove conflicts.